Making yogurt (Laban):
- Bring gall on of whole milk to boil.
- Let cool until warm(about45-50C), then separate 2cups of warm milk.
- In a bowl, add1/2cup of plain yogurt and mix gently.
- Let it sit for 2-3 minutes then add to warm milk pot and stir gently.
- Wrap yogurt mixture pot with a blanket and leave aside for 5-6hours.
- Remove yogurt from blanket and put in the refrigerator, and let it cool.
- Now you have homemade yogurt(Laban)!
Making yogurt cheese (Labaneh):
- Add tea spoon of salt to yogurt pot and mix well
- Place yogurt in a clean cotton pillow case, and let it hang over a sink or a tub for a whole day
- Yogurt will thicken to a creamy cheese consistently
- Now you have Labaneh!
- You can make shankish out of your labaneh by rolling creamy labaneh into marble-size balls.
- Dish Za'atar in a flat plate.
- Roll labneh balls over za'atar.
- Place on a plate, drizzle olive oil on top.
- Serve with bread, toast, or crackers.