Freekeh is unique not only for its deep connections to culture and ancient food traditions, but also for the meticulous farming and processing techniques involved. Canaan spares no effort to replicate the original methods used for thousands of years in order to provide you with this distinctive grain.
- The process starts from the fields, where our extension teams perform year-round inspections for crop growth, any violations of pesticides usage, and any other problems or infestations.
- We work with farmers to pick the best harvest time to capture wheat while it’s still in the milky stage to guarantee that special Canaan Freekeh taste and texture.
- Freekeh then undergoes the traditional, ago-old flame roasting process to produce the amazing distinctive roasted flavor.
- While ongoing field inspections help reduce the possibility for fungal or bacterial infections, flame-roasting and then drying Freekeh totally eliminate such possibilities.
- We check moisture levels and conduct other specific chemical tests before and after roasting to ensure quality and taste.
- We then pack the Freekeh in sealed vacuum bags injected with nitrogen to prevent exposure to oxygen.
- We perform monthly physical and chemical tests while in storage as well as prior to filling for orders.