Light, fluffy, and delicious! This delectable salad recipe highly nutritious, very filling and makes a perfect dish for a buffet or potluck. Can be served cold or at room temperature.
Ingredients: (Serves 8 to 10 people)
- 1 pound (500 g)/2 packs of Canaan Maftoul (couscous)
- 1/4 cup of Canaan Nabali/Rumi Organic EV olive oil
- 1-cup raisins
- 1 onion, 1⁄4-inch dice
- 1 bunch green onions (scallions), 1⁄4-inch chop
- 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 2 pieces fresh red cayenne or chili peppers, sliced thin
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper, freshly ground
- 1-teaspoon of Canaan Za'atar spice mix, Herbs de Provence or favorite spice mix.
- Prepare the Maftoul and set aside on tray to cool: For one pound of Maftoul, bring 4 cups of water and one tablespoon of salt to boil, toast 1 pound Maftoul in 2 tablespoons of olive oil for 4 minutes on medium-high heat, add toasted Maftoul to hot water and let simmer for 12 minutes. Fluff with a fork and spread on tray to cool.
- Meanwhile, add cup of water to cup of raisins and simmer in a pan for 10 minutes. Then let cool and drain. Sauté onions in 1 teaspoon of olive oil, and let cool. Combine green onion, parsley, and hot peppers in a bowl.
- Mix Maftoul salad: In the bowl of cooked maftoul, add raisins, both kinds of onions, parsley, hot red pepper, 1/4 cup of olive oil, lemon juice, pepper and spice mix. Mix together and serve in small salad bowls.
- Note: any hot red or green pepper will work, OR substitute Canaan Fair Trade chili olive oil for some of the oil, and use chopped sweet red peppers for the color.