Mujaddara is a traditional vegetarian Palestinian dish originally made with lentils & rice, and garnished with caramelized onions. Canaan’s version of Mujaddara substitutes rice with fluffy & nutritious organic Maftoul (couscous), which is hand-rolled by Palestinian women cooperatives. Light, delicious, healthy, and economical, this dish is many vegetarians’ favorite.
- Heat 1/2 cup of olive oil in a pan, add dry lentils and roast in olive oil over high heat for 3 minutes
- Add 6 cups of water
- Bring to a boil, then turn down to low heat, cover the pot for 30 minutes
- Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil and roast Maftoul on high heat in olive oil for 3 minutes, then add it to the pot with the lentils
- Add salt and pepper, and mix Maftoul and lentils together well, then cover the pot for another 20 minutes
- Fluff over a platter
- Sauté onion slivers on high heat until golden
- Serve Mujaddara topped with roasted onions; can be served with salad or yogurt.